Recreational and professional players alike understand the importance of strapping up the best basketball ankle braces before they ball. The reason is simply to avoid injury or prevent further damage to the ankle. While on the court, indoor or outdoor, your only a quick slip away from twisting or rolling an ankle. Checking out these basketball ankle braces reviews and finding the right fit for you, is an investment in your longevity as a player for this season and years ahead.
Reviews of the 9 Best Basketball Ankle Braces, Plus 1 to Avoid
- Zamst A2-DX Ankle Brace Review: This Zamst Ankle brace is the absolute top of the line, don’t believe me, well all you have to do is to look at one of the greatest basketball players today and see that he’s wearing it. That’s right, this extra protected ankle brace is worn by Steph Curry to give him all the confidence he needs to play the game and it’ll do the same for you. Though this brace is bulkier than normal, the comfortability is still there and there is no worry about the brace being annoying while playing basketball while also providing you with the most protection. It is pricier than most of the braces on this list, but the quality is simply farther than any other brace. For the comfort, protection, and quality, there is no better than this Zamst Ankle Brace.
- CopperJoint Compression Ankle Sleeve Plantar Fasciitis Sock Review: Most of these products on this list will be actual ankle braces but ankle sleeves are useful as well, and this CooperJoint Ankle Sleeve is the best sleeve out there. The sleeve helps improve blood circulation and reduces muscle fatigue as well as allowing a faster muscle recovery from ankle injuries. The fabric is also breathable, so it will keep your feet dry as you wear it. It will not give the same amount of protection compared to an ankle brace, but if you are looking for something lightweight but still give you ankle support, there is no better product than this CopperJoint sleeve.
- McDavid 195 Ankle Brace with Stabilizer Straps Review: This will not be the only time that a McDavid product will be on this list. An interesting stat that may make you more comfortable buying this brace is that athletes participating in an independent study at a major research university had 3x fewer injuries when wearing the 195 ankle brace. This brace is much more of a normal, standard brace that has quite a bit of features to it. It has a Compression-comfort top strap, a Ventilated tongue breathes with you, Padded lining and reinforced closures and it is fully adjustable without having to take off your shoe. It’s also extremely lightweight so the uncomfortable while playing basketball or annoyance is not there.
- ASO Ankle Stabilizer Review: The ASO Ankle Stabilizer is one of the more popular ankle braces and you can find one these at most places that would sell these products. It is also one of the best out there, This ankle brace has a unique combination of comfort, support and durability. The Ballistic nylon boot provides tremendous strength and durability, They give an amount of compression that’ll keep your muscles strong, If you’re looking for a standard ankle brace that isn’t too bulky but also gives more protection than an ankle sleeve that is a top quality brace, than this ASO ankle brace is the one for you.
- McDavid Neoprene 431 Ankle Sleeve Review: In terms of ankle sleeves, this McDavid 431 ankle sleeve is the one of the best ones to purchase. If you are looking for a some type of protection for minor injuries such as tendinitis than this is a perfect sleeve for you. The sleeve is very lightweight. It’s breathable neoprene knitted elastic construction allows for players to have a comfortability that most braces cannot provide. This is also one of the more affordable sleeves on the market and the McDavid brand is absolutely one of the most recognized and one of the best quality brands of sports protection there is, if not the most.
- McDavid 199 Lace-Up Ankle Brace with Support Stays Review: This is one of the most the top selling ankle braces, these braces is used by various athletes and buyers alike because of how it prevent common injuries like sprain ankles. With the lightweight feel and the highly breathable two-layer polyester/vinyl mesh gives a great amount of comfortability that cannot be matched. Another great feature of the brace is the spring steel medical grade stays for solid and reliable support and if the boot/shoe type design may be bigger than what most want, but with the amount of support the McDavid brace gives, it’s well worth the money.
- McDavid 511 Compression Ankle Support Review: The McDavid 511 is a very basic ankle sleeve made of breathable, non-neoprene knitted elastic. This is a great recovery ankle brace from injuries such as a severe ankle sprain or even something more severe such as a broken ankle. This ankle support gives the basic necessities at a very reasonable price, if you have experience and injury and you are looking for an affordable ankle brace, take this one under consideration when buying. A lower level support brace, this brace is can use some improvements in regards to protection but it provides more than a sleeve but less than a thick brace that are given by some other McDavid items.
- Copper Compression Gear Premium Fit Recovery Ankle Sleeve Review: The copper compression sleeves enhance circulation and oxygenation of the blood thereby increasing muscle performance. Copper nylon in our compression sleeves accelerates recovery by stimulating oxygen delivery and promoting better blood flow to speed up recovery of injured muscles, joints, tendonitis, and arthritis. The sleeves are are comfortable enough to be worn all day while still providing great support and a nice compression to speed up recovery, inflammation, and soreness of your muscles, joints, and tendons. This is one of the best ankle sleeves out there, so if an injury isn’t too severe and you want an affordable sleeve, this product is for you.
- Bracoo Breathable Neoprene Ankle Support Review: A lesser known brand, the Bracoo ankle brace is a great alternative for someone who is looking for a cheaper brace that doesn’t lack in quality. It has a light and thin design with a heel cutout and a secure crisscross closure. The model helps prevent injuries when playing the game and has enough breathability that sweat won’t come in and become an annoyance. An open-heel design enables broad a range of motion while bracing the plantar flexion, talocrural joint, and Achilles tendon; ideal for injury prevention while playing basketball. This product has been very useful for patients that are recovering from surgery.
- Active Ankle 329 Ankle Brace by Cramer Review: When comparing ankle braces with comfort and price, this ankle brace doesn’t give customers enough to make it desireable. At around the same price of a maximum protection ankle brace but only providing you minimal support, this ankle brace falls short of what it is worth. Though this brace could be effective for some other sports, it doesn’t have much use for a basketball brace. The Cramer brand is not as top quality as McDavid, Zamst, etc and they can have some hit and misses.It has been said to be very tight for the size it says and with what you can find elsewhere, it’s just not worth it. Quite frankly, this brace is just comes up short.
Top 3 Brands of Basketball Ankle Braces:
- McDavid: The McDavid brand is the most recognizable name, and in my opinion, it has the most amount of high-quality braces on the market. McDavid is the leading online shop for sports medicine products and protective apparel for basketball, the McDavid brand can be found in virtually all shops that sell basketball and sports products. A stable for sports medicine and protection from injuries, it is used around the world from athletes like Jamaal Charles and Harrison Barnes and is recommended by doctors around the world. It is the brand with the most quality and affordable products in sports medicine
- Zamst: Zamst is a well known basketball brace and is usually more of a high-end brace compared to other brands. With it being a high-end brand, it also provides high performance. Zamst gives the most support for the well known brands, it provides the strongest ankle support for moderate to severe ankle sprains and can help prevent many injuries as well. If you are willing to shell out a decent amount of cash, than Zamst is probably the brand that you want to go with, although they could be a little more difficult to find in stores a Zamst Ankle brace is for you.
- ASO: The ASO brand comes out with some of the best basketball ankle braces and stabilizers for knees, back, etc. The brand is far less known and in fewer stores than the other two respective brands. However, ASO does what they do well and do not need to make a ton of ankle braces because what they do is quality. Make sure when you are buying that the ASO brand is right for you because they only have a few ankle braces, but if it does work for you, then ASO could be the exact product for your stability and Especially the ASO product described above.
2020 Buying Guide to the Best Basketball Ankle Braces
When in the market for an ankle brace, make sure that you take a few things into consideration. Knowing what the brand is is important for buyers because this is support for your muscles. Getting the right information on the support, fit and cost of the product is essential as well.
Three Main Points to Consider Before Buying
- Support: First you want to make sure that the brace you are buying will give you enough support for the ankle to do what you want. Support is probably the most important thing to consider because it has the most impact. Too much support and you may have wasted money, but too less of support and you could aggravate an injury and cause more damage.
- Fit: Second, is the fit of the brace. Make sure that the brace that you are buying gives you the right amount of comfort. An ankle brace that isn’t the right size will not give you the stability that you would be buying the brace for, and nobody wants to do that for themselves.
- Cost: Of course another thing to keep in mind is what the brace costs. The cost of whatever product you buy matters and a basketball ankle brace is no different. There are some ankle braces that are completely worth the money and some that aren’t because you can get many high-quality braces for a lower price, make sure you weigh your options.
What is the Difference Between Basketball Ankle Braces vs Sleeves?
- Braces: An ankle brace gives the maximum protection for your ankle and foot. Ankle braces are not as comfortable or as lightweight as say an ankle sleeve, but an ankle brace will provide you with much more stability. For more severe injuries, an ankle brace is absolutely necessary, as well as taping the area, as ankle sleeves just cannot give enough support to make sure that you have the same amount of motion and range as you usually do without ankle protection.
- Sleeves: Ankle sleeves have less support and protection but are usually more comfortable than a brace. Most ankle sleeves are lightweight, and their use is to provide support for minor injuries, and they can be found at most places that sell any kind of sports medicine items. They utilize sleeves simply as compressive devices but caution patients on the sole use of this modality if they have gross instability.
Do Ankle Braces Weaken Your Ankle?
Ankle braces have no evidence to the fact that they can weaken your ankles. Ankle braces are there for support, and its purpose is to allow you to have the most normal amount of motion that you have without an injury and without the actual need of protection for your ankle.
Can Ankle Braces Cause Knee Injuries?
An ankle brace, however, may cause the knee to take on more impact and increase rotation. This is not a guarantee and is not even likely, but there is a higher risk of the knee taking much more of responsibility because of the lack of pressure the ankle can handle. The brace is still used to heal, so even if it used to give support, it shouldn’t be taken advantage of, and you should still be putting less pressure on your ankle. If you are looking specifically for knee support, it may be helpful to learn more about the best knee sleeves for basketball.
What Does An Ankle Brace Do?
An ankle brace provides stability and attempts to give back regular motion that you usually have. The ankle brace is used to provide stability and comfort while recovering from some kind of injury and should be treated as a tool. Do not overwork your ankle because ankle braces aren’t miracle workers that make it so you can’t re-injury the injured but it is an extremely useful tool to prevent injuries and to heal from previous ones.
What Kind of Ankle Brace Does Steph Curry Wear?
Many basketball fans have seen a certain ankle brace used by one of the most popular players in the NBA today, Steph Curry. That ankle brace he uses is the top rated Zamst A2-DX Ankle Brace, this brace has a lot of amazing features that I have listed above, thanks to Steph Curry, the Zamst Ankle braces are getting a lot more recognition. If you are looking for more of a high-end ankle brace that offers the maximum protection, then you too can look like Steph Curry when on the court. Except, you might not be able to shoot quite like the two-time NBA champion.
Best Basketball Ankle Braces (2020 Buyers Guide):
Final Thoughts on Finding One of the Best Basketball Ankle Braces:
In conclusion, there are few quality brands of ankle braces to consider when looking for the right ankle braces. Make sure that you take into consideration that the fit, price and support because it is vitally important to get the right ankle brace. Buying the correct ankle brace can help you recover from injuries and help prevent other injuries from occurring. Buying the wrong ankle brace can cost you money and give you the confidence to feel like your ankle is fine with it and can give you another injury that could be more severe. Buying the ones on the list above will give you the best chance of getting the highest quality of ankle support.