It’s a reality of competitive sports that you only get out what you put in. This is why training plays such an integral role in your ability to get the best out of yourself, but quantity isn’t always the answer. It’s important to train properly, and having the right training equipment can help you to train a lot smarter. This review will run you through some of the best basketball training equipment, a couple of the worst, and outline some of the things to look for in this equipment.
Review of the 5 Best Basketball Training Equipment, Plus the 2 Worst to Avoid
- Unique Sports Dribble Specs Basketball Training Aid Review: If you want to work on your dribbling skills, this item is a great value way to do it. The Dribble Specs utilize a simple enough concept to help you handle it like Kyrie Irving; that if you can dribble without looking at the ball, you’ll be far better off. The specs block out the lower portion of your vision, meaning you’re forced to keep your eyes away from the ball while dribbling. This will help you in two ways; firstly, if you can learn to dribble without the help of vision, imagine how much easier it will be when you can see. Secondly, keeping your eyes up allows you to see the whole floor, and better locate open lanes and shooters. This product can be extremely beneficial, and a single pair will cost you just a few dollars. These goggles are both clever and inexpensive, and are not only the best basketball dribbling training equipment on the market, but the best basketball training equipment of 2020.
- SKLZ ShotLoc Basketball Shooting Trainer Review: SKLZ make a lot of great pieces of basketball training equipment, and this is the best SKLZ basketball training system on the market. This product ensures the ball stays out of the palm of your hand when you’re shooting, something which can be a major problem for many players. Having the ball too far in the palm of your hand can really throw your shot off, and this promotes a proper release of the ball as well as a better follow through. As well, it spreads your fingers, meaning your hand will be in a better position as you knock down 3-pointer after 3-pointer. This is an inexpensive and simple product, but is one which can definitely have a huge impact on your shooting ability. This is the best basketball training equipment shooting machine money can buy, and is definitely worth purchasing.
- Baden SkilCoach Heavy Trainer Rubber Basketball Review: This heavy trainer rubber basketball is the best training basketball ball you’ll find. It is available in two sizes, one of which is the official full-size of a basketball. The difference is, it comes in at double the weight. This means passing, shooting and dribbling will become significantly harder. So what’s the benefit, you might wonder? When you switch back to one of the best basketballs that are regulation size, after using this heavy trainer basketball, everything will seem significantly easier. Shooting and passing will feel far, far easier in comparison to with the heavy ball, making you a better, and more confident player. The ball is built with a rubber cover with the intention of being able to withstand years of use, meaning you’ll get many years of practice out of this product.
- The BigCone Sports Cone Review: The BigCone makes it easier to take your training to a new level. The 3.5 foot tall collapsible cones mimic defenders much more than regular, small cones, meaning you’ll feel a little more heat while trying to weave your way through them. These are the best basketball training cones available, and can be used to improve your dribbling and your agility. What’s more, these cones are lightweight and collapsible, meaning you won’t have to lug them around at their full size, and can also store equipment. This means you can put your basketball, clothes and shoes in them, and use the carry handles to carry it around like a normal bag. Essentially, this is a great piece of training equipment and a carry bag all in one, making it a great overall purchase.
- Goalrilla Blocking Dummy Review: Goalrilla come up with some innovative basketball products, and this is one of them. While basketball is technically a non-contact sport, anyone who has played the game knows that there is a high level of physicality involved within it. This blocking dummy will help you work on your physicality, enabling you to safely practice contact drills. It’s a great way to practice your post-up play, and you can alternate with a friend to allow you each to hone your defensive and offensive skills. The two reinforced heavy duty handles give the person holding the dummy improved control, and the high density foam on the inside of the product ensure it is safe, soft, and will last a long time. Overall, these are the best basketball training pads you’ll find.
- SKLZ D-Man A Trainer Defensive Mannequin Review: SKLZ have come up with a decent enough idea in the D-Man Defensive Mannequin. The aim is to ensure you always have a training partner, even in the absence of an actual person, and the mannequin is supposed to provide a little bit of game-day type pressure on your shooting and dribbling. Unfortunately, this simply doesn’t work with a stationary mannequin. You can shoot over it or dribble around it as much as you like, but the motionless product doesn’t really adequately represent a moving defender. On top of this, the quality of the plastic used is relatively low, and is prone to bending. Considering the defensive mannequin isn’t particularly cheap, this is a piece of training equipment best avoided.
- Ball Hog Handling Gloves Review: These handling gloves are essentially a cheaper alternative to the popular Powerhandz product, but they are cheaper for a reason. The idea is to remove a little bit of friction and feeling from your hands, making it harder to catch, shoot, and dribble. Then, once you take them off, the game will feel a lot easier. It’s certainly a valid idea, but these gloves don’t do a whole lot that couldn’t be achieved with a pair of gardening gloves. Reviews suggest they are no different to a normal pair of gloves, and on top of that they tend to be quite ill-fitting. If you like the idea, it’s best to either fork out a little bit more for a higher quality pair piece of equipment to improve your ball handling, or try dribbling with a pair of gardening gloves.
2020 Buyers Guide to the Best Basketball Training Equipment:
Training equipment comes in all different shapes and sizes, and the amount of different products around that claim to improve your game can make your search a daunting one. Before you start out, make sure you consider these important factors. They’ll not only ensure that you end up with a product that you’re happy with, but they’ll also significantly shorten your search, leaving you with more time to get out on the court and take your game to the next level.
3 Main Points to Consider:
- The component of your game that needs improving: This will have a major impact on what sort of product you need to look for. The needs of a point guard needing to improve their ball handling might differ significantly from those of a center looking to improve their physicality. Alternatively, maybe it’s your shooting that needs improvement, in which case an aid tailored towards this aspect of your game will be best suited. All of the major disciplines involved in the game have certain training aids, which are created specifically to include that aspect, so make sure you tailor your search towards finding a product that will actually improve what you’re trying to improve. If, for example, you’re a great shooter with suspect handles, buying a shooting aid is probably not going to be the best option for you. Make sure you really think through what part of your game needs improving prior to purchasing any training equipment.
- Price: This is a factor with all purchases, but particularly so with regards to training equipment. Some products, which are aimed at improving your game, can easily cost you hundreds of dollars. If you’re willing to part with this much cash to improve your game then go for it, but ensure you read the reviews to determine if you’ll be getting what you pay for. Alternatively, maybe you’re only a casual basketball player, or simply don’t have the budget to spend big on a piece of training equipment. In that case, there are still plenty of options for you, with a number of training aids that can truly have an impact coming in at just a little over $10. Every individual has different needs, and this will impact how much they are willing to spend on training equipment. Make sure you consider exactly what you’re willing to part with to get what you’re after before you start your search.
- Effectiveness: It’s an unfortunate reality that many products that claim to be beneficial to your game really don’t make a whole lot of difference. Good training equipment can be really helpful, and can make an area of your game that was previously a big problem into a strength, but finding these products requires a little bit of research. Often, products that claim to help you in a certain area might do what they claim to do, but there can sometimes be very little actual improvement in your game. Determining which pieces of training equipment are legitimately helpful and which are more of a scam can be tough, and the best way to do it is to ensure you do adequate research before you buy. Otherwise, you could end up spending cash on something that doesn’t really help your game in any way.
When is a good time to start my child on basketball training gear? How about for myself as an adult basketball player?
For a child, whenever they’re ready! Of course, it’s important to teach children about the enjoyable side of sport, rather than drilling in the concept of competition as soon as they’re old enough to walk. If they love the game though, then the right piece of the best basketball training equipment for kids can be a great buy for a child of any age. Developing skills at a young age can be hugely beneficial to your game as a teenager and adult, so if they’re eager to try out a few different things then there are many great products for them to enjoy.
As an adult, the same rules apply. Any time you feel you need to improve an aspect of your game, buying some training gear can be a great choice. It is, of course, important to ensure you do the required research to ensure you get an appropriate product, and one, which will truly benefit your game. Once you do this, actually follow through andtrains like a beast!
Basketball Training Drills To Improve Your Scoring (Video Instruction):
Final Thoughts on Finding the Best Basketball Training Equipment:
Basketball training gear can be a hugely effective way to improve your game, and enjoy yourself while doing it. This review has listed some of the best basketball training gears on the market, as well as a couple that are best avoided, and also outlined just what you need to look out for prior to making your purchase. Follow this advice, do the necessary research, and carry out the training and you’ll soon find yourself taking your game to the next level.