Choosing gifts isn’t always the easiest task, but for basketball players, you can’t go wrong with a basketball-based gift. You know it will get good use, and won’t become one of those presents that inevitably ends up in the back of the cupboard. This review will detail some of the best gifts for basketball players: adult and youth, and some of the most important things to look for when shopping for the gift.
Reviews of the 12 Best Gifts for Basketball Players, Plus the 2 Worst to Avoid
Top gifts for Adult Ballers:
- DribbleUp Smart Basketball Review: The DribbleUp smart basketball comes complete with a downloadable app, which measures the performance in various ball-handling categories when a player is using the ball. This performance analysis includes anything from crossover speed, to dribble speed, and endurance level. The DribbleUp smart basketball is relatively inexpensive considering what it can do, making it the best basketball gift under $100.
- ShotTracker for Basketball Review: This gift gives practice added meaning. The ShotTracker includes a sensor attachable to the net, and a sensor attachable to your wrist. It measures both a player’s total shot attempts during a session, and how many of these shots were made. This means practice more closely resembles actual basketball games, as there is an incentive to make shots. The ShotTracker is endorsed by Klay Thompson, one of the best shooters ever to play the game, so you can be sure it’s good quality.
- An Official NBA Basketball Review: Why not go simple? Sure, fancy gadgets come in handy, but there’s nothing better for a basketball player than a good old basketball, and since it’s for a gift, make sure you buy a good one. Spalding makes the official NBA Game Day Basketball, and it’s as good a ball as there is, making this the best basketball gift for men available.
- Basketball for Women Book Review: Nancy Lieberman was one of the best women’s basketball ever to grace the court, and followed that up with a terrific coaching career. Basketball for women is an opportunity to get inside the mind of a champion, as she details many of her best tips and provides insight into her most interesting experiences. This is a great read, and is the best basketball gift for girls available.
- Sum It Up by Pat Summitt Review: Pat Summitt is an incredible woman, having stared early-onset Alzheimers in the face and taking it on to become the most winningest coach in NCAA history. This is an incredible story of not just her basketball career, but the challenges she faced throughout her life, and is an inspiring read. This gift will please all lovers of the game, but for boyfriend’s especially, this is the best basketball gift for her that money can buy.
- The Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons Review: Love him or hate him, Bill Simmons knows his sport, and presents his opinions in a highly entertaining way. The Book of Basketball covers all sorts of topics, from historical debates to discussions on the future of the game, and does it all in his typically controversial, yet funny, manner. This book is sure to please all basketball players.
- SKLZ MagnaCoach Basketball Coaching Tool Review: This clipboard makes it a little easier to keep track of what’s going on during a game, and is more useful for coaches than for players, but it probably isn’t worth the price tag. Much of what you can do on this clipboard can be done on a regular piece of paper, and considering it comes in at a relatively steep price, this is a gift to avoid.
Top Gifts for Youth Ballers:
- Lifetime Pro Court Height Adjustable Portable Basketball System Review: This is the best basketball gift for teen boys on the market, and is sure to be popular with your teenager. This adjustable basketball hoop adjusts from 7.5 feet to a regulation 10 feet, allowing kids of most sizes to play like they’re Giannis Antetokounmpo. Even shorter kids will be able to go close to dunking with this great gift.
- SKLZ D-Man A Trainer Defensive Mannequin Review: The D-Man A Trainer is the ideal practice partner. The mannequin stands with his hands constantly in the air in a defensive position, putting added pressure on player’s during practice, and replicating real-life game situations. Able to be used during individual or team practices, this is sure to help develop any young baller’s skills.
- Ball Hog Handling Gloves Review: Anyone who wants to improve their basketball skills will love this gift. The ball hog handling gloves are anti-grip, meaning when you put them on, it’s significantly harder to dribble. Practicing your sick crossovers and hesitation dribbles with these on is really tough, which inevitably means that when you take them off, the game will feel a whole lot easier. This is great to develop the fundamentals of the game in children, and any child who struggles handling the ball, or simply wants to take their ball handling skills to the next level, will love this gift.
- Unique Sports Dribble Specs Basketball Training Aid Review: Much like the ball hog handling gloves, this is a great gift for any child looking to improve their game. These goggles don’t exist simply to look cool, as you’ll notice when you see them. What they do is block out a player’s lower field of vision, so when they are dribbling they can’t see the basketball. This is a great habit to teach, as it enables players to analyze the floor around them while still being able to comfortably handle the ball.
- Mug With a Hoop Review: If you’re trying not to break the bank with your basketball-themed gift, this mug with a hoop is a great option. A funny little mug with the exterior of a basketball and a hoop attached enables young basketball players to practice their shooting as soon as they wake up in the morning; albeit without an actual basketball!
- SKLZ Ladders Review: Anyone who has played basketball knows how important it is to have fast feet. This gift helps to develop this skills, with the flat rungs of the ladder offering up the ability to practice getting those feet moving in short, sharp movements. Furthermore, this gift stands the test of time, meaning whoever you give this gift to will get plenty of use out of it.
- NBA 2K18 Review: This isn’t a gift to avoid because it isn’t fun. It’s really fun, but that in itself is a problem. Buy this as a gift for a youth baller, and watch them while away the hours sitting on the couch honing their XBOX skills, rather than their basketball and fitness skills. This is a terrific game, but for any young basketball player who wants to keep developing their skills, it should definitely be avoided.
2020 Buyers Guide to the Best Gifts for Basketball Players:
Buying a gift that will actually receive a lot of use is a great feeling, and for this reason, it’s hard to go wrong with a basketball-themed gift for basketball players. There are, however, some things that need to be considered prior to the purchase, including cost and the purpose of the gift, to name a couple. Here are the three main factors to consider when buying a basketball gift, and why you need to consider them.
3 Main Points to Consider:
- Price: As with all gifts, the price needs to be considered prior to buying a present for a basketball player. This depends on a number of things, from your budget, to how close you are to the player, to how serious they are about the game. Maybe they’re a far removed cousin who you see rarely, and you don’t want to break the bank on them. Fair enough, and in this case it’s appropriate to buy a relatively inexpensive gift. If you have plenty of money to spare though, and want to buy something really worthwhile to a close friend or family member who is serious about basketball, there are plenty of great gift ideas, which allow you to spend a little bit more on that special someone.
- Purpose of the Gift: Not all gifts are made equal. Some of you might be buying a gift for a basketball player who only plays casually, maybe on a Monday night with a few friends. For these players, a gift that is going to help them enjoy the game more is probably the most appropriate. In contrast, some of you might be buying for a teenager who wants to reach the highest level of basketball possible, or a college player trying to take their game to the next level. In this case, a fun gift idea might not be the way to go. Instead, consider something that could actually have a tangible impact on their ability, be it a fitness based gift or a shooting aid. Additionally, in order to develop your skills as a basketball coach, a nice gift idea might be to find one of the best bball coaching books for that special coach-in-training.
- Quality: Most of the gifts listed above are available from a number of different brands, and in a number of different styles and forms. As a result, it’s important to consider which of these is the best fit for the person you’re buying the gift for. Do you want to buy the absolute best of the best? The most expensive version of the gift, and the version which will be of the most benefit to them? Or are you buying a bit more casually, in which case you might opt for a lower quality version of a gift? This needs to be considered prior to deciding on the quality, in much the same way that you need to consider price before your purchase.
When is the right occasion to give basketball themed gifts?
Whenever it’s someone’s birthday or Christmas! Basketball themed gifts are always a great idea for anyone who loves the great game. They can be fun or they can be useful, and they will always please the person receiving the gift. People who love basketball really love basketball, so anything they can get their hands on related to the game will make them happy. Any time is a suitable time to give a basketball gift, but don’t limit your gift giving to special occasions. Those who are at critical stages of their basketball career, like teenagers or college students, can benefit hugely from a surprise basketball gift that can help them develop their game. Sometimes surprise gifts are the most well-received, so springing a basketball gift on a player when they don’t expect it can make you very popular.
Best Gifts for Basketball Players (2020 Buyers Guide):
Final Thoughts on Buying One of the Best Gifts for Basketball Players:
Basketball is a sport loved and played across the world, and as a result there are a lot of people out there who need to buy gifts for players. From basketball books, to training aids, to gifts which simply make the game a little more fun, there are a whole lot of options out there. This article has given you some of the best options to consider when purchasing a gift for a basketball player, as well as what to look for, which should make the whole process that little bit easier.